Live Scan Fingerprinting and Background Checks for Volunteers
BSV is now scheduling appointments for Live Scan background checks. Please contact the BSV office to learn more. Here are a few requirements:
- prior fingerprinting does not count; initial background check results and ongoing reporting cannot be shared with outside organizations
- must be a BSV volunteer -or- (non-BSV volunteers) referred by a BUSD employee serving a non-employee role in a BUSD school
- must know your BSV volunteer placement teacher -or- (non-BSV volunteers) provide a referral from a BUSD employee at your school site
- must have a valid government ID
- must be able to schedule a 15 minute appointment at our office during general work hours Monday-Friday
Contact the BSV office with questions or to schedule your appointment. Please have all items or information listed above before you schedule your appointment!
BUSD Volunteer Screening Policy
The following volunteers will need fingerprinting to work with Berkeley students:
- BSV volunteers supervised by non-certificated/credentialed BUSD staff
- Volunteers with other pathways into BUSD schools who are supervised by non-certificated/non-credentialed BUSD staff
- Mentors (unless they are assigned to and supervised by a certificated/credentialed teacher at all times)
Additionally, the Berkeley Schools Volunteers office reserves the right to require fingerprinting for:
- Any volunteer or mentor who plans to have unsupervised contact with students (on or off campus)
- Any volunteer or group not able to meet the BSV requirements explained in our BSV Volunteer Contract
BUSD will cover the cost of fingerprinting and DOJ/FBI background checks. They have contracted with Berkeley Public Schools Fund, our funding organization, to conduct all live scans for BUSD volunteers and mentors.
TB Testing: this is not a requirement unless you are volunteering more than 3 days per week or 90 days in one school year. These volunteers will need to show proof of negative TB test results to the BSV office. Many Berkeley medical and community health offices offer this service free of charge, including student health centers at UC Berkeley.
Because teachers create a schedule directly with their volunteers, BSV does not know how many days each volunteer is working with students. Please refer all volunteers who fit this description to the BSV office to learn about TB test requirements.