Who Should Attend a New Volunteer Orientation?
Any person wanting to volunteer on a school campus in Berkeley must come through BSV or another agency partnering with the Berkeley Unified School District to screen, train and manage volunteers. All new volunteers are required to attend a volunteer orientation prior to requesting a placement. In addition to meeting you in person and reviewing our policies, we want to share with all the undecided volunteers our current volunteer opportunities in all 20 BUSD schools. RSVP for an orientation by filling out the form below.
Orientation Logistics and Reminders
- Plan to attend a full, 1 hour orientation
- Late arrivals: If you arrive 5 minutes or more after the start time, you will be asked to attend another orientation.
- Once you attend, you do not need to attend another orientation
- Some volunteer placements require additional screening or training, depending upon the nature of the volunteer placement.
- While we love kids, we kindly ask that you do not bring babies/children to the orientation. Thank you for understanding.
What to Expect
We will present an overview of Berkeley schools, programs, and options you have as a volunteer, explain the request and selection process, handle the screening requirements, and help you complete a Volunteer Registration Form. We will also review volunteer policy in BUSD schools and volunteer tips for success.
What to Bring
- Government-issued photo ID (State ID card or Driver’s License – must be current).
We cannot accept school IDs.
- Two (2) references who can vouch for your ability to volunteer with youth in schools (names and contact information only; no letters needed)
- Your schedule of availability (to match your needs with those of teachers/staff; you will set a volunteer schedule with the teacher/staff member directly once in contact)
- If you already have a connection at a school, please bring the name of the teacher who is hosting the program and the name of the school site.
All BSV orientations are held at 2020 Bonar St, Rm 126, Berkeley, CA (Technology Lab).
Are you a Parent/Guardian of a student currently attending a BUSD school?
If you are a parent/guardian of a child currently attending the BUSD school at which you wish to volunteer, you have rights under the CA Education Code to do so with prior notice and approval from the school site and staff. If you choose to volunteer outside your child’s classroom, your school site may ask you to come through BSV for additional clearances. Please understand this is to protect all our students, as school sites have limited ability to screen volunteers. You may also choose to come through BSV’s training to find community, improve your strategies for working with children and teachers, and for help finding other volunteer opportunities. Please contact us or your school site to ask about your specific situation.