Learn more about the powerful ways that Berkeley Schools Volunteers (BSV) are working in collaborative response to the COVID-19 crisis in Berkeley Unified.
- Task Runners are dispatched by BSV to pick-up and deliver urgently needed meals, groceries, school supplies, and technology for students and families who are not otherwise able to access them centrally. Learn more HERE.
- Ed Hub volunteers run BUSD’s centralized, drive-through distribution center where families can pick up needed supplies three times every week. Learn more HERE.
- Tech Wellness team is making contact with every BUSD family that received a loaner Chromebook this spring to support equal access to the district’s instructional platforms and resources. Learn more HERE.
- Books team launched a two-pronged (online and real) book drive out of BUSD’s Ed Hub. Expert members help sort, level and bag books for students while non-expert literacy enthusiasts collect book donations and distribute book bags to students. Learn more HERE.
- Remote Learning Mentors are college-aged mentors who e-meet twice weekly with struggling middle schoolers at King Middle School to support their success. Learn more HERE.
- Grocery Drivers do just that – they drive hundreds of bags of groceries every other Friday from the Berkeley Food Network to 1 of BUSD’s 6 meals distribution sites for families in need. Learn more HERE.
- Laptop Refurbishment team accepts community technology donations and supplies BUSD teachers and staff with newly refurbished tech tools to improve the remote learning experience for all. Learn more HERE.
- Art Team puts their artistic passion and know-how to work in ways that support creative learning and response efforts district-wide. Learn more HERE.
- Garden team worked in collaboration with BUSD’s garden, cooking & nutrition program to assemble 800 take-home seed planting kits for students early in the crisis. Learn more about this and other projects HERE.
- School Supplies team designed school supplies lists by grade level and assembled over 2500 bags of supplies for BUSD’s highest needs students, preschool-12th grade. Learn more HERE.
- Teacher Needs team supports the connection between community members with home office tools to donate and BUSD staff in need. Learn more HERE.
- School Site Support team recruits dozens of volunteers for single-day, on-site events where Principals need extra human power. BSVers support laptop distribution, school close-downs, or classroom clean-ups. Learn more HERE.
- Spanish speakers support BUSD’s Spanish-speaking families in better accessing the curricular resources and supplies available in our district. Learn more HERE.
Project Managers get tapped to support emerging BSV projects, like developing new safety protocols, building systems for emergency financial aid, and recruiting and managing volunteers for single-day events. Learn more HERE.