Safety First on BUSD Campuses
In early fall 2021, BUSD leadership gave the OK for Berkeley Schools Volunteers to resume recruiting and placing School Support Volunteers (this time, including Parent Volunteers) across the district.
To do so safely, BSV has added new practices to our ’21-22 BSV Safety Protocols for Volunteers.
’21-22 Safety Highlights. School Support Volunteers must:
- be fully COVID vaccinated & approved by BSV before volunteering (**Please allow a full week between applying & getting clearance to start. BSV is inundated with hundreds of requests at present.**)
- volunteer at one site only (and if relevant, in one classroom only), to minimize cross-contamination
- sign in & sign out every visit in the Main Office Visitors Binder (imperative for effective contact tracing)
- obtain a ‘BSV Volunteer’ sticker in the school’s main office & wear at all times on a BUSD campus
Thank you for helping keep BUSD classrooms safe and focused on learning!
Learn more about BSV School Support Volunteer Roles & Projects:
- Playground Supervisors provide additional eyes on the playground to ensure students stay safe. This project is new to BSV as of Fall 2021.
- Task Runners are dispatched by BSV to pick-up and deliver urgently needed meals, groceries, school supplies, and technology for students and families who are not otherwise able to access them centrally. Learn more HERE.
- Ed Hub volunteers run BUSD’s centralized, drive-through distribution center where families can pick up needed supplies three times every week. Learn more HERE.
- Grocery Drivers do just that – they serve as food shuttles between community sources, like the Berkeley Food Network, and BUSD campuses for families in need. Learn more HERE.
- Spanish speakers support BUSD’s Spanish-speaking families in better accessing the curricular resources and supplies available in our district. Learn more HERE.