HOW YOU CAN HELP!
Join BSV’s Tech Wellness Team
In partnership with the district, Berkeley Schools Volunteers (BSV) is contacting all families who received loaner Chromebooks this spring for a personalized “tech wellness check.” Volunteers will be supporting families to ensure laptops and internet are working, families know how to access remote learning platforms (like Google Classroom & Meet/Zoom), and students can access e-book collections (like Sora). This is a major undertaking and is a critical piece of BUSD’s strategy to minimize the deepening of the digital divide in our district.
BSV is currently seeking Tech Wellness Check volunteers with as little as an hour to give each week. You can make all calls from home, can make as many or as few calls as your schedule permits, and don’t need a high-tech background (we’ll train you, give you a script, and support you with resources).
*** Want to learn more? Click here
*** Ready to join the Tech Wellness team? Sign up as a Berkeley Schools Volunteer here, and then check the Skills box that says, “Tech Support for Remote Learning/Wellness Checks.” Then program leaders will be in touch!
Bring Books for Elementary School Students to the Book Drive at the Ed Hub
Starting next Monday May 18, we will be accepting donations of high quality books for elementary students in new or very gently used condition at BUSD’s NEW Ed Hub location at the Berkeley Adult School, entering on Curtis Street between Virginia and Francisco Street.
Book donations (please in paper bags only) will be received MWF on the following schedule: Mondays 12-2pm, Weds 3:30-5:30pm, and Fridays 12-2pm. After a week-long quarantine, books will be sorted, levelled, and bagged by BUSD literacy coaches & librarians and distributed via volunteers at the Ed Hub to any families wanting books at home.
Sign up to Work a Shift at the Ed Hub
The Ed Hub is a partnership between the BUSD and the Berkeley Public Schools Fund – the single, centralized distribution site for BUSD families to pick-up needed supplies: from school supplies and gardening kits to Chromebook exchanges and books. We need at least 6 volunteers (including 1 Spanish speaker) per shift to run the Ed Hub smoothly! The Ed Hub will likely be up and running through the summer.
Donate a Used Laptop to Berkeley Unified Students or Staff
Thanks for considering donating a laptop to BUSD during these difficult times. A volunteer team of tech-savvy professionals are working in close partnership with the BUSD tech team to do all refurbishments. Laptop donations will go to BUSD employees who do not have a computer at home sufficient to do their job during the current shelter-in-place order, either teachers or district staff.
To ensure that your laptop will be useful to BUSD employees, please click HERE for specifications & a tutorial.
Drop-off Instructions: Please place your laptop donation in a sealed paper bag labeled with your name and the date and time of drop-off. (The drop-off date/time are essential to ensure the safety of our volunteers.) Please leave the bag on the porch of 2310 Browning St.
Donate Food & Supplies to Berkeley’s Unhoused Neighbors
Berkeley’s unhoused neighbors, some of whom are BUSD families, are extremely vulnerable right now. Please donate supplies and non-perishable foods. You can leave them on the porch of 1214 Evelyn Ave in Berkeley (near Gilman & San Pablo; blue house/orange door).
- Supplies needed include:
- Hand sanitizer, baby wipes, tissue, toilet paper, drinking water, Soap, dish soap, first aid supplies, blankets, sleeping bags, clothing, solar panels (for charging stations), deep cycle batteries, propane, propane cook stoves, tarps, trash cans with lids, tubs for food storage, trash bags, & batteries
- Non-perishable foods needed include:
- Canned fruit, canned veggies, chili, canned soups, canned meats (spam, chix, tuna, etc.), & can openers, peanut butter, evaporated milk, & dog food
Give Blood to the American Red Cross
- Blood, platelets, and AB plasma are and will continue to be in short supply. Please give blood if you can! ARC Blood Donation Center 6230 Claremont Ave in Oakland. Appointments recommended. Scheduling online is best with this blood drive finder, or call 1800-RED-CROSS.
Volunteer for the Berkeley Food Network
- The Berkeley Food Network is looking for healthy individuals to sign up for Food Pantry shifts. This volunteer activity is exempted from the current City of Berkeley “Shelter in Place” Order (see 10.f.iv. and 10.h.ii)
- Sign-up to help: https://signup.com/go/vFnrbtF
Sew CDC-approved face masks!
- According to the CDC, fabric masks are a crisis response option when other supplies have been exhausted. And shortages of key medical supplies, including face masks, are anticipated.
- Here is a how-to video, face mask sewing instructions and a face mask pattern.
- Berkeley’s own fabric store, Stone Mountain & Daughter, has set up this special website for face mask supplies.
- Grant, a BSV volunteer, has offered to collect & transport masks to Alta Bates or other local hospital. Leave them at 1578 Scenic Ave (near corner of Cedar & Scenic). Place in box on his porch and then ring the bell! His cell: 510-685-2289.
Donate to the Support Berkeley Students & Families in Crisis
- The Schools Fund is working with the BUSD Office of Family Engagement & Equity and the BUSD Homeless Outreach Program to identify needs and to direct services to students and families.
- Support could include groceries, emergency housing assistance, books, access to technology and other emergency needs that will help stabilize families and students during this crisis.
- Please donate HERE to support students and families in greatest need!
Stay Connected to Berkeley Schools Volunteers
- BSV’s response is evolving, reflecting the changing circumstances in our community. Please continue to check this webpage for updates on how you can help.