Investing in Recovery to Level the Playing Field
With a new mission laser-focused on equity, the Berkeley Public Schools Fund is currently re-orienting programs and resources to support and amplify work that levels the playing field for the students furthest from opportunity.
- Emotional Health & Wellness*
- Digital Equity
- Equitable Family Engagement
- Positive Racial Identity Development
- Inclusive & Culturally Relevant Learning
*for any/all students (this year)
Explicit About Equity
LEARNING for Equity proposals will be evaluated based on the following equity dimensions:
- For whom? (Who is the proposed audience?)
- By whom? (What relevant qualifications do the educators have?)
- What? (What is the curriculum or content?)
- How? (What is the chosen pedagogy? How will the project be implemented?)
To drive cohort-based systems change, LEARNING for Equity proposals will be evaluated based on:
- the number of committed participants in a particular cohort
- the systems & structures designed for collaboration, coordination & communication of the cohort
“Cohorts” are comprised of a Project Leader (the applicant) and colleagues who are also committed to the project.
- In BUSD, many cohorts exist at a single school. For example, grade-level teams, subject/function-area teams, LEARNS/BEARS Instructional Techs at a site, or counselors @ Berkeley High.
- In some cases, cohorts exist across schools. For example, TK educators, Science Resource Teachers, OFEE Specialists, and Garden Educators).
- LEARNING for Equity proposals from a single educator will not be accepted.
To broaden our reach, the Schools Fund requests that BUSD educators participate (as lead or cohort member) in only one LEARNING for Equity grant per year. (Educators may, however, participate in both a LEARNING and a LEADING grant simultaneously.)
LEARNING for Equity grants open every fall. For ’21-22:
- Applications open Mon, Aug 9
- Applications close at midnight on Sun, Sept 19*
- Applicants will be notified of funding status by Fri, Oct 22
*Late applications will not be considered.
Grant writing & Planning Tools
- LEARNING for Equity Grant Guidelines HERE
- LEARNING for Equity Application Questions HERE
- LEARNING for Equity Example Budget HERE
- LEARNING & LEADING Side-by-side Comparison HERE
- LEARNING for Equity Office Hours HERE
- About project scope, email Duffy Ross: email@example.com
- About completing/submitting your application, email Diane Dew: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Current Grantees Only
- Once a grant has been approved, payments can be requested by completing a Equity Grant Check Request form.