Strategic Impact Grants are larger grants serving the grade, department, school, inter-district, or District level. The grants involve teacher collaboration on a project or coordination with an outside organization. The purpose of Strategic Impact grants is to support bigger needs including curriculum transitions and enhancement, professional learning communities, programs that target more equitable outcomes for socio-economically disadvantaged students, and pilot projects supporting goals that are aligned between Schools Fund and BUSD. Strategic Impact grants have supported Professional Learning Communities, new approaches to language instruction, literacy initiatives, and extended learning programs.
In 2014-15 we identified five organizations with which to permanently partner as Community Partners: the Berkeley Symphony, Community Resources for Science, the Berkeley Repertory Theatre, WriterCoach Connection, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. The Schools Fund has supported the high-impact programs offered by these organizations for years (several of them for decades!); by identifying them as official Community Partners, we are ensuring their presence in classrooms for the foreseeable future. Each organization has a track record of providing programs that enhance and enrich the educational experience of our students.
Strategic Impact Grant funds cannot be used to create or expand District positions.
If your grant proposal is going to include pay to BUSD staff and/or subs, please determine the following information and contact Sandra Inouye in Fiscal Services to develop an accurate cost estimate:
- Number of certificated teachers to be paid
- Number of classified staff to be paid, and names if you know them
- What the time will be used for (e.g. training, curriculum development, participation in other activities, etc)
- Frequency and timing of activities (e.g. “teachers will meet monthly for 2 hours per month from January through May”, or “participation in 2-day workshop on 1/10-1/11”)
- How many subs will be needed, and when.
Please contact us with questions at 510.644.6244 or email@example.com.
Strategic Impact Grants are reviewed two times a year by the Schools Fund Board of Directors. Applications are due on the following schedule:
- First week of May for review at the June Schools Fund Board meeting (May 8, 2017 at midnight). The first round of 2017-2018 Strategic Impact Grants can be found here.
- First week of January for the January Schools Fund Board meeting (January 8, 2018 at midnight). Applicants notified by January 24.
Once a grant has been approved, payments can be requested by completing a Strategic Impact Grant Check Request form.
Please complete Strategic Impact Follow-Up Reports by the end of the school year or contact the Schools Fund to make other arrangements.