Berkeley’s elementary schools, spanning Kindergarten through 5th grade, can be found in every corner of the city. Through an innovative elementary admissions process and cross-district busing, BUSD has succeeded in designing communities of elementary learning that reflect the diversity of Berkeley.
Elementary school volunteers often spend time:
- Supporting reading, writing, math, or science under the guidance of the Host Teacher
- Providing one-on-one support for struggling students, or assisting small groups
- Helping classroom teachers with the set-up or break-down of activities
- Assist the Science Resource Teacher with hands-on science labs
- Support Gardening Teachers with outdoor ecology lessons
- Support site Librarians with tracking and maintaining book collections