Welcome to BSV’s digital toolbox.
From logistical info and important forms to inspiring articles that will push your learning, we’ve got what Berkeley Schools Volunteers need!
- Interested in “Classroom” Volunteering for 2020-21?
- College Aged & Interested in Remote Mentoring for 2020-21?
- BUSD Elementary School Attendance Zones
- BSV Minor Volunteer Permission Form
- Live Scan Fingerprinting & DOJ/FBI Background Check, Instructions & Form
Host Teacher Resources
- First Meeting Checklist
- BSV Volunteer Contract, 2019-20
- Ideal Classroom Tasks for Volunteers, by Grade-level
- Building rapport with students: a Questions List from the National Equity Project.
Ongoing Learning: Equity in Education
- Beyond the Buses (The Past and Present of Berkeley’s Desegregation Efforts), a three-part series in Berkeleyside
- The College Town Achievement Gap (An article highlighting a comprehensive Stanford study that shows that race, not income, is the discrepant factor in determining students success. The Atlantic, June 1st, 2017
- The Geography of Racial/Ethnic Test Score Gaps. (Updated analysis of the data set referenced in the College Town Achievement Gap above). By Sean Reardon, Demetra Kalogrides, Kenneth Shores of the Center for Education Policy Analysis, Stanford University. March 2018.
- Redlining: The History of Berkeley’s Segregated Neighborhoods. By Jessie Barber. Berkeleyside, Sept. 20, 2018.
Ongoing Learning: Racial Equity & Whiteness
- 1619 Project, a series of articles commemorating the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the first African slaves on US soil. Produced by Nikole Hannah-Jones and the New York Times Magazine. Stories turned into Podcast Episodes by the New York Times.
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh, 1988. https://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/mcintosh.pdf
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo, 2018 https://libjournal.uncg.edu/ijcp/article/viewFile/249/116
- Seeing White podcast series by the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University. Scene on Radio’s Seeing White Series