Who Should Attend a New Volunteer Orientation?
Any person wanting to volunteer on a school campus in Berkeley must come through BSV or another agency partnering with the Berkeley Unified School District to screen, train and manage volunteers. All new BSV volunteers are required to attend an orientation prior to receiving a placement. Please RSVP for an orientation by filling out the form below.
Orientation Logistics and Reminders
- Plan to attend a full 1 hour+ orientation
- Late arrivals: If you arrive 5 minutes or more after the start time, you may be asked to attend another orientation.
- Some volunteer placements require additional screening or training, depending upon the nature of the volunteer placement.
- While we love kids, we kindly ask that you do not bring babies/children to the orientation. Thank you for understanding.
What to Expect
We will present an overview of Berkeley public schools, programs, and options you have as a volunteer, explain the request and placement process, as well as the screening requirements, and help you complete a Volunteer Placement form. We will also review volunteer policy in BUSD schools and volunteer tips for success. Fingerprinting is not part of the orientation process.
What to Bring
- Government-issued photo ID (State ID card or Driver’s License – must be current).
We cannot accept school IDs.
- Your schedule of availability (to match your needs with those of teachers/staff; you will set a volunteer schedule with the teacher/staff member directly once in contact)
- If you already have a connection at a school, please have the name of the BUSD teacher and the name of the school site.
All BSV orientations are held at 2020 Bonar St, Berkeley, CA on the 1st floor, unless otherwise listed below. Seating is limited. We will contact you within 1-2 business days if the date you selected is full. We reserve the right to change the time/date or location of the training, due to attendance and/or school space needs, so please RSVP to receive updates.