What do School Support Volunteers do?
School Support Volunteers (SSV) support a variety of district-wide and multi-school initiatives that are driven by the needs of our school community:
School Support volunteers deliver groceries to schools and families as part of the food security partnership program between BUSD, the Schools Fund and Berkeley Food Network.
- For more information, click HERE
Types of district-wide and multi-school School Support Volunteer opportunities include:
- Art, Garden, and Library Support (clean-up days, organization)
- District Events (e.g. annual School Supply Give-away)
- Grant Writing Assistance for BUSD Educators
- Multi-Lingual Support—for more information, click HERE
- Community Health (vaccine clinic and testing support)
What impact do School Support Volunteers Make?
- In the 2022-23 school year, School Support Volunteers delivered over 2,000 bags of groceries each week, helping more than 500 families
- In the 2021-22 school year, School Support Volunteers contributed over 5,000 hours of project time related to community health, education, and food support. These hours translated into an economic value of over $180,000 to Berkeley’s public schools.
How do I become a School Support Volunteer?
It’s quick and easy to sign up! Click on the red button below to complete the brief School Support Volunteer application.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
School Support Volunteers receive regular email alerts about open volunteer opportunities, with links to sign up.
In addition, volunteers can check the frequently updated SSV Volunteer Opportunities page at any time to sign up.
Opportunities may include both one-time events and ongoing commitments, allowing volunteers to find what best suits their available time and interests.
School Support Volunteers serve at the discretion of the school site. Please only go to a school site to volunteer when a teacher, staff member or event leader is expecting you and/or you have signed up ahead of time.
For more information, email SSV Program Manager Sally McLaughlin, firstname.lastname@example.org