LEADING for Equity grants are designed to support larger, multi-layered projects that involve thoughtful coordination between multiple school sites and district staff (or are “district-wide”).
Award amounts range from $5,000 – $30,000
See the complete list of ’22-23 LEADING for Equity Grants awarded this year.
Check out this Side-by-side Comparison of LEADING for Equity and LEARNING for Equity grants
Priority Funding Areas
LEADING for Equity proposals will be prioritized where they clearly support at least 1 of the Schools Fund’s priority funding areas:
- Emotional Health & Wellness
- Digital Equity
- Equitable Family Engagement
- Positive Racial Identity Development/Culturally Relevant Learning
- Focused Academic Intervention & Support
- Diversifying BUSD’s Educator Pathways
Explicit About Equity
LEADING for Equity proposals will be evaluated based on the following equity dimensions:
- For whom? (Who is the proposed audience?)
- By whom? (What relevant qualifications do the educators have?)
- What? (What is the curriculum or content?)
- How? (What is the chosen pedagogy? How will the project be implemented?)
To drive systems change in BUSD, LEADING for Equity proposals will be evaluated on:
- The number of schools committed to the project
- The extent of district-level collaboration
- The systems & structures that enable essential collaboration across schools and partners
Who Can Apply
LEADING for Equity grants are open to current BUSD staff members. Community organizations may partner with BUSD staff but the BUSD staff member must serve as Project Lead.
LEADING for Equity proposals from a single school will not be accepted.
Please consider whether a LEARNING for Equity grant may be a better fit. See this side-by-side grants comparison.
The Schools Fund is taking a more engaged stance with our grantmaking, offering more staff touch points and more grantee support. Supports include:
- Optional Office Hours for applicants
- Exploratory Learning Conversations with LEADING applicants
- Goals & Evaluation Technical Support & Learning Conversation, early fall
- Project Check-in/Learning Conversation, mid-year
We ask grantees to participate in the following:
- 1-3 Learning Conversations (above)
- Final Reflections (oral or written)
Investing in Recovery to Level the Playing Field
With a mission laser-focused on equity, the Berkeley Public Schools Fund supports new and existing efforts that ensure success for students furthest from opportunity.
- The ’23-24 LEADING for Equity grant application will open mid-January 2023
- The application deadline will be mid-March 2023
- All applicants will be notified of funding status by late May 2023
- Grantees will be able to access funds starting July 1, 2023
- LEADING for Equity Grants Awarded Spring for ’22-23
- LEADING for Equity Grants Awarded (Spring & Fall) ’21-22
- LEADING for Equity Grant Guidelines
- LEADING for Equity Application Questions
- LEADING for Equity Example Budget
- LEADING for Equity Budget Considerations
- LEADING & LEARNING Grants Side-by-side Comparison
- Other Grantmaking Organizations for Educators
For Current Grantees
Once a grant has been approved, payments can be requested by completing an Equity Grant Funds Request Form
If you are paying BUSD staff for their time, please carefully read these Instructions for Completing BUSD Timesheets
Do you plan to re-apply for another year of funding for the same project? The Schools Fund prioritizes repeat projects that score highly across equity dimensions and are led by grantees in good standing (completed all grant requirements, demonstrated significant impact).