Every-other-Friday, Spring 2020
- The Berkeley Food Project packs donated groceries into bags every other Friday. These bags get transported to all BUSD school sites and distributed, via the school’s own systems, to families in need.
- The Berkeley Food Project is looking for reliable drivers to support the transport of bags to schools. This involves showing up at a pre-assigned time at the BFN’s warehouse at 1925 Ninth Street. Volunteers help pack your car (even a hatchback can work!). You drive to the site, unload them, and carry bags to a pre-determined pick-up location.
- Dates: Every other Friday on the following spring 2019 dates: Jan 10 and 24, Feb 28, Mar 13 and 27, April 10 and 24, May 8 and 22, and June 12.
- Timing: the pick-up window at the warehouse runs late morning to early afternoon, though drivers are assigned a specific time so the loading bay doesn’t get overwhelmed.
- Duration: the commitment takes about an hour start to finish, from warehouse loading dock to school delivery.
- The ideal volunteer driver has a pre-existing connection to the school of delivery, either as a volunteer, a parent, a past parent, etc. Volunteer drivers would commit to drive to the same school for the duration of the spring.
- Volunteer Drivers should be comfortable lifting and carrying heavy bags of groceries. (Some use carts to assist, others just carry them.)
BFN is still looking for drivers who can commit to an hour of driving/delivering bags every other Friday this winter/spring to the following BUSD schools:
- Emerson Elementary (SE Berkeley, above College Ave)
- Hopkins Preschool (West Berkeley, near Gilman)
- King Child Development Center (just south of Downtown)
- Longfellow Middle School (March onward, south Berkeley, on Sacramento)
- Malcolm X Elementary (February onward, south Berkeley near MLK)
- Willard Middle (4 dates only, SE Berkeley, near Telegraph)
Interested? Email Duffy Ross, email@example.com, at the Berkeley Public Schools Fund to sign up!